PETS Travel Scheme

If you want to take your pets on holiday abroad they will need their own Passports.

Many UK pet owners now take advantage of the Pet Travel Scheme (PETS) which allows pet dogs, cats and ferrets which have travelled to other countries (all of Europe plus some other countries) to re-enter the UK without requiring quarantine.

Microchipping is the best form of identification and is a requirement if you want a Pet Passport.

The main requirements of the PETS scheme are:

  • A microchip – this must be in place before rabies vaccination
  • Vaccination against rabies
  • A blood test to prove that your pet has satisfactory protection against rabies
  • PETS Documentation from your Vet – your Pet’s Passport
  • You may need an official Veterinary Certificate for countries outside the EU
  • Tick and tapeworm treatment 24 to 48 hours before re-entering the UK
  • Travel with an approved transport company on an authorised route

Due to the incubation period of rabies, your pet’s first Passport will not be valid until approximately seven months after their first rabies vaccination.  However, once your pet has a Passport all you need to do is keep their rabies vaccination up to date.

Protection Against Different Diseases

While travelling abroad your pet may encounter new diseases, many from biting insects and ticks.  Tell your Vet where you plan to travel and they can advise you how best to protect your pet.


Many pets get stressed when they travel or when they are taken away from their familiar surroundings and routines.  Stress in pets can now be managed very successfully in several ways including prescription drugs, supplements and other treatments such as pheromones.  Ask your Vet for more information.


Ensure that your Pet Health Insurance covers trips abroad.

Further Information

If you are thinking of travelling abroad with your pet please contact your Vet to discuss the requirements specific to your travel plans.  We will be pleased to support you through the entire process from microchip to going on holiday.

Further information is also available at